Pharmaceutics is the science of drug delivery. It is much more than a single area of science; it encompasses a spectrum of diverse scientific disciplines. The domain of research extends from fundamental studies of the physicochemical properties of drugs and related molecules to dosage forms and delivery systems, including investigations of the mechanisms of various physiological processes which impact on the delivery of drugs to specific sites of action and, therefore, on their therapeutic effectiveness. The complexity and size of drug molecules and problems in their delivery have grown, providing new and expanded challenges for pharmaceutical scientists. Protein pharmaceuticals and gene delivery methods are providing additional exciting opportunities
The Department of Pharmaceutics comprises seven faculty members and three laboratory technicians.
Department is responsible for teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses
UG level: Pharmaceutics, Physical Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Engineering,
Pharmaceutical Technology & Biopharmaceutics, Advanced Industrial Pharmacy.
PG level: Advances in Drug Delivery, Biopharmaceutics & Pharmacokinetics,
Preformulation & Production Management.
The Department provides both the educational and research demands of the pharmaceutical industries and health systems. The research activities of the Department cover the fields of pharmaceutical formulations, new drug delivery systems, physical pharmacy, biopharmacuetics and pharmacokinetics. Specific research topics currently being investigated by the Department members include: sustained-release formulations of drugs, design of novel drug delivery systems, niosomes, polymer films as coating and matrices for drugs, solubility enhancement of BCS II drugs, site specific drug delivery systems, biodegradable polymers, transdermal and oral delivery of drugs, occular Drug Delivery, dermatological formulations.
The Department contributes in presenting 35 credit units of thesis in M.Pharm.
Providing excellence in pharmaceutical education and development of pharmacy leaders as a service to the community in the improvement of the quality of health care services.
1) Planning and carrying out of undergraduate and postgraduate education of experts for scientific and demanding professional work in pharmaceutical fields.
2) Planning and carrying out of the scientific research work in pharmaceutics.
3) Advancing the profession.
4) Serving the needs of the School, University and community.
1) To increase individual and collaborative research grants and contracts to enhance collaborative works with other departments
2) To continue to educate undergraduate students who excel as community pharmacists
3) To continue to educate graduate & post graduate students to be prominent scientists who excel in academia, the pharmaceutical industry and research agencies
3) To promote research creativity through collegial interaction, diversity, mutual respect and interchange of ideas.
Department Of Pharmaceutics
Mr. M.A Saleem
Mr. Sunil Firangi
Mr. Ashfaq Ahmed Mohsin
Mrs. Sumanji Bala
M.Pharm Dissertation works
Books & Journals
Important web resources
Successfully Organized International
Seminar on “Emerging Trends in Advanced Drug Delivery Systems”
Dr. AEJAZ AHMED
Aejaz A,Jafar M,Dehgan MHG &Adil Shareef S.Meloxicam-PVP-SLS Ternary dispersion systems:in-vitro and in-vivo evaluation.International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.vol -2,issue 1 ,2010,182-190.
Aejaz A,Azmail K,Sanaullah S &Mohsin AA.Studies on Aceclofenac solid dispersion incorporated gels:development,characterization and in-vitro evaluation. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.vol -2,suppl 1 ,2010,111-115.
Aejaz A,Azmail K,Sanaullah S &Mohsin AA.Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of Aceclofenac solid dispersion incorporated gels.International journal of applied pharmaceutics,vol 2,issue 1,2010,7-12.
Mohsin AA,Nimbalkar N.E,Sanaullah S &Aejaz A.Formulation and in –vitro evaluation of mouth dissolving tablets of amitriptyline hydrochloride by direct compression technique. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.vol -2,issue 1 ,2010,204-210.
Asgar Ali,Khaja pasha,,S.A.Raju & Aejaz Ahmed.Visible specrophotometric determination of Amlodipine in pharmaceutical formulation and bulk drug by using bromophenol blue. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.vol -2,issue 2 ,2010,128-129.
M.Najmuddin,Vishal patel,Aejaz Ahmed,S.Shelar,T.khan.Preparation & evaluation of flurbiprofen microcapsule for colonic drug delivery systems. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.vol -2,suppl 2 ,2010,83-87.
M.Najmuddin, Aejaz Ahmed,Sachin shelar, Vpatel, ,S.& T.khan.Floating microspheres of Ketoprofen:formulation and evaluation. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.vol -2,suppl 2 ,2010,164-168.
Jafar M,Aejaz A.Studies on readymix suspension of ampicillin trihydrate: development,characterization and in-vitro evaluation. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.vol -2,suppl 2 ,2010,102-112.
Azmail K,Sanaullah S ,liyakht &Aejaz Ahmed. In-vivo efficacy study of Aceclofenac solid dispersion incorporated gels for transdermal study on rats.asian journal of experimental biological sciences,vol1(3),2010,602-605.
Aejaz A,Asgar Ali.Formulation and In-vitro evaluation of readyuse suspension of Ampicillin trihydrate. International journal of applied pharmaceutics .vol 2,issue 3,2010,27-29.
Mohsin A. A.
I Patwekar, B Gopalakrishana, K Durga Rao, Mohsin A A, Mohsina F
Patwekar. Free radical scavenging
activity of tephrosia procumbens buch-ham.
International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. (INT.J.PH.SCI) MAY-AUG, 2010; 2(2):528-532.
7. Faheem I Patwekar, Mohsina F Patwekar, Muhammad Asif, Sanjeev Heroor, Ashfaq Ahmed Mohsin. Activity guided Separation of Phytoconstituents from the Flowers of Ichnocarpus frutescens L. and evaluation for antioxidant property. RES J PHARM BIOL CHEM SCI Oct – Dec 2010; Vol 1, Issue 4, 318-323.
1. Hiremath S.N., Sunil Firangi, Farhat Fatima, Swamy P.V., Raju S.A and Shirsand S.B. “Design and in-vitro Evaluation of Controlled Release Matrix Tablets of Verapamil
Hydrochloride”, Drug Lines, Vol. 9, May 2006-June 2007.
2. Hiremath SN, Raghavendra RK, Sunil F, Danki LS, Rampure MV, Swamy PV, Bhosale UV. “Dissolution Enhancement of Gliclazide by Preparation of Inclusion Complexes with
b-Cyclodextrin”, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics, Vol. 2, Jan-Mar 2008.
3. Shirsand SB,
Review, March 2009.
Saleem MA, Sumanji Bala. Formulation and evaluation of meloxicam solid dispersion incorporated topical gels. International Journal of Pharma and Bioscience (IJPBS).Vol-1, Issue-3, July-Sept 2010.
Ragvendra Rao NG, Thube Ketan, Sumanji Bala.Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of metoprolol tartrate using natural superdisintegrant. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and clinical Research (IJPCR).Vol-2, Issue-1, 2010, Page no 40-45.